Hush-puppies were never a favorite of mine until I became an adult. Now I really enjoy a side of "bread" as I eat my seafood! These aren't just your typical cornmeal flavored hush-puppies, these are exploding with flavor from the green pepper, jalpeno and oinon that is added! They are super simple and are quick to make. I made them first, then threw them into the oven to stay warm until my shrimp were done. They also warm up nicely for left overs!
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk or beer (Substituting beer for milk makes these lighter and tangier)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- A few splashes of your favorite hot sauce
- Vegetable oil
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine egg and next 4 ingredients, stirring well; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven or large saucepan; heat to 375°.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry in
batches 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper
towels; serve immediately.